1. i remember the first time i went for a “long” run – the summer after my first year of college. it was maybe an hour long. i suffered the entire time.
2. if you let me get on a soapbox about running (or being active) i will talk until i’m blue in the face.
3. rowing in college was my best collegiate decision.
4. i hate feeling less than 100%
5. chances are that if i’m feeling achy or near injury i’ll push through it
6. i’m also self-diagnosing the sh*t outta whatever i’m feeling
7. which means: (and yes, you’ve probably guessed it!) i’m stubborn as hell.
8. i’m unlikely to admit it though. that i’m…um…stubborn…umm, who? me?
9. and frankly, stubbornness is what makes me a freak of nature
10. i mean, ultra distance-lover
11. also, i would have never survived 4 years of rowing at the University of Wisconsin if i weren’t stubborn.
12. or competitive.
13. i’m mostly competitive with myself. mostly.
14. that’s one of the primary reasons i keep going. because i want to see what i can do.
15. it’s also one of the reasons that i’m absolutely going to do an Ironman triathalon someday. to prove to myself that i can do it.
16. i eat to run…
17. but i run to eat – just as much.
18. some days i despise listening to music. some days i listen to crazy pop and dance music. and sometimes i can only deal with calming, folkie-indie tunes while i run.
19. i absolutely remember running my first half marathon and proudly proclaiming that i’d never run a full marathon.
20. three years later – i am signed up for my second 50-miler
21. what was i thinking????
22. oh yeah, i just got two new pairs of shoes. maybe that will distract me for a moment.
23. in the meantime, i love running.
24. i also (especially lately) love sleeping in. which means 7:15 am, in case you were wondering.
25. i wouldn’t trade my life, my legs, my livelihood – for the world.